I’ve already posted about how i made Red Ridding Hoods Cloak so this post is dedicated to the under dress that i made for little red ridding hood.
We found this amazing ivy back drop for the photos when going for a evening stroll through the near by woods. All the material for this project was donated to me in the form of a couple of cream cotton duvet covers which with a bit of Dylon die i got to a pale pink.
Draping on the stand is my favorite method of creating a pattern which i used to create the pattern for this dress. If its a pattern i feel will be used a couple of times i transfer it to card format as it makes it really easy to draw around ad is flat. I cut two copies of every piece from the same material one for the top layer then one for the lining as i had loads spare of the cotton.
Smocking was both exciting and laborious it started out fun as it was a new skill that i had never done before and the after effect looks amazing but i will say that it was exstreamly time consuming, mainly because i decided to cover almost all of the front bodice. I also had to play around with trial and error to get the right depth and width of each smocked line. In the end i settled with a drawn grid on to a fabric piece measuring 200 cm by 30 cm fabric with a row every 15 mm high and a row every 5 mm wide. I ran a simple running stitch along the width of the fabric sewing through the point were the two lines met every 5 mm till i had a very tight series of very small pleats. From the bottom up i added more and more pleats each time to create a triangular shape that would fit the front panel of the dress.
After about 7 hours the smocking was finished and ready to attach to the front panel pattern piece which was hand sewn to secure it along the edges then all the excess marital was cut away. With this all done i could sew all the pieces of the bodice together for both the front and lining.
To neaten the seam i added a little decorative lace and some beads.
Before sewing the lining and bodice front together i added a series of boning channels to the lining using spiral steel boning. This was to give a fitted shape to the finished dress.
Facing the two pieces together i sewed along the neckline and sides so it could be turned out side in to give a clean finished edge.
The last few steps were nice and simple by adding bias binding to the bottom of the bodice and attaching the skirt, made from a simple rectangle cut to a length just below the knee. I also added eyelets to the back of the dress so it could be laced up.
Here’s a few of the finished pics