As i am now on my gap year, every week or so i am setting my self a new challenge of picking a character and costuming for them as its my aim to improve and refine my skills before going off to UNI next year. My first character i pulled out the hat which is Little Red Ridding Hood, now complete so i thought i would give a quick tutorial on how i made it. Each project i am going through the process of design as if i was costuming for a show which involves, working out theme, setting, characters personality and details like age and class and many other little bits a pieces so that before i actually do any sketches i know as much about the character as possible to build a clear picture of what i need to portray through the costume. I usually create a mood board as well to act as a starting point. With all that finished i start designing coming up with several ideas so i don’t limit my self or over cram ideas in to just one. Theses were a couple of the original sketches for Little Red Ridding Hood.From these i picked that Sketch 5 to take further and actually make. I used 8 mtrs of crinkled taffeta, 4 mtrs poly-satin, 30 by 30 cm red velvet, one meter of red floral cotton, and 6 mtrs of circular reed boning.
I started with the hood as it was the most challenging part as have never attempted to make a structured hood ever.
The hood pattern was roughly 60 wide and 65 tall with a curved edge for the back. i used a floral red cotton which would be visible on the inside of the hood how ever i backed it with some scrape waterproof material to help the hood hold its shape.
I wanted the hood to be overly large with out it falling over the face completely so i had to create a boned frame along the front edge of the hood to hold the shape. For this i created six, 5 mm channels that i could slide lengths of reed boning in too. Quite quickly i realized the reed had a habit of braking if bent two much but managed to solve this by runing a medium zig zag stitch over the reed channel.
With the cotton lining complete i started to ruffle the crinkled taffeta around the main edge of the hood i did this inside out so that i could turn it in to give a neat edge.
I made the top bit of the cloak fitted which makes it a lot less bulky then gathering all the material along the bottom of the hood. I also used a row of hook and eye attachments so that it could be fastened at the front.
This is the completed hood and the beginning of the cloak attached together.
For the cloak it consisted of two layers and the outer red crinkled fabric measuring 6 mtrs by 1.5 mtrs. The lining layer was made from the red satin but was smaller than the other layer only measuring 4 mtrs by 1.2 mtrs this was sewn together and turned in side out like a pillow to give a neat edge before sewing it together with the hood.
The Sleeves were made in a similar style ruffled at the top and bottom to give volume to them.
Along the top edge of the sleeves i finished them off with a decorative velvet strip with flowers that i had laser run and hand sewed together with beads to decorate.
The sleeves are detachable from the cloak with a simple lacing technique often used in historical clothing.
Hers some of the finished picks